Tuesday, September 22, 2009

August 18, 2009

Rained pretty much all day today. It was shopping day. That was crazy. Went to a Kiri market(wood carvings). They just swarm you when they see white people. In your face. Did a lot of bartering. Got some good deals I think. But it was not a real enjoyable experience. I didn't get to inspect everything as well as I would have liked to. A couple of the sculptures were a little broken, but nothing too bad. I liked bartering though. That's the first time I really ever did it. It was fun.

After that, we went to the weaving factory that gives work to people with disabilities. I was pretty much out of money at this point so I couln't afford much.

After lunch we headed up to Mt. Mulanje again to see the Mulanje Mission Hospital. It was a really nice facility(for Malawi mind you). I guess they had made a lot of improvements in the past several years. The guy giving us the tour talked about the main diseases there. Malaria was the number one disease that people came to get treated for by a landslide. HIV was second. It was like 19,000 to 6,000 cases last year. He did say though that about 1 in 8 or 9 people in Malawi have HIV.

After dinner I finished packing. I'm leaving just about everything here. My checked bag weighs 10 KG which I guess is just over 20 lbs. Giving a huge bag to Ellen that me and the girls filled up with all of our stuff. She is going to make sure that it is given to people who need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment